Curried Vegetalbe Chickapea Stew
Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 medium red or yellow potatoes, diced
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated (about 1 tablespoon)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
2 cups vegetable broth
2 (15.5-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juices
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (10-ounce) bag baby spinach
1 cup coconut milk
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion with one teaspoon of salt until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and another teaspoon of salt, and sauté until just translucent around the edges.
Stir in the curry, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and chili and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in 1/4 cup of broth and scrape up any toasty bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer this onion-potato mixture into the bowl of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. (Halve this recipe for a smaller slow cooker.)
To the slow-cooker, add the rest of the broth, chickpeas, bell pepper, cauliflower, tomatoes with their juices, the pepper, and the final teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. The liquid should come about half way up the sides of the bowl; add more broth as necessary. Cover and cook for 4 hours on HIGH.
Stir in the spinach and coconut milk. Cover with lid for a few more minutes to allow the spinach to wilt. Taste and correct the salt and other seasonings as needed.
Serve on its own or over cous cous, Israeli cous cous, or orzo pasta.
- Smaller Slow Cookers: Cut this recipe in half for a smaller slow cooker.
- Dutch-Oven Version: Instead of cooking in a slow cooker, simmer the stew in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat on the stove top or in a 350°F oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add the spinach and coconut milk and stir until the spinach ha wilted. Taste and add more seasonings if needed.
- Pranayama Series For Clarity And Balance - June 27, 2017
- Meditation For The Arc Line - June 25, 2017
- Kriya For The Heart Chakra - June 22, 2017
- Your Personal Life Lessons - November 11, 2016
- Being A Mother To Humanity - November 9, 2016
- Healing Your Family - November 6, 2016
- The Rights of A Reading - November 4, 2016
- Do you have what it takes to Home school? - November 4, 2016
- Matcha Green Tea Smoothie - July 30, 2016
- Kriya for Disease Resistence - November 6, 2015